In 1949, Joseph T. Comito and Ross and Bernard Grandanette founded a fruit market in the capital city of Iowa. The first Capital City Fruit store was located at 1035 2nd Avenue in Des Moines.
Joseph soon bought out his partners and, after journeying to both Oklahoma and Arkansas to sell produce, returned to the market his wife Mary and son Joseph M. were running in his absence.
The company moved to 1920 SE 14th Street in 1959 and Joseph M. joined CCF as a full-time employee soon after. During this period, Capital City Fruit continued its retail operations while expanding its wholesale, distributing, and shipping activities.
The founder and family patriarch, Joseph T. Comito, passed away in 1975. Over the next six years, under the direction of Joseph M., Capital City Fruit doubled in size, even adding a repacking operation in 1976. When Mary died in 1981, Joseph M. became the third President of Capital City Fruit.
As the company rapidly expanded, CCF moved to Norwalk, Iowa, in 1982 with eleven employees. In 2012, the company relocated its offices, warehouse facilities and 120 employees to a new building on the north side of town.